September 15th, 2012

Honey Spelt Bread

Dinkel-Honig-Brot Some German Bloggers already baked Martins Honungssyrad råg with variations. He played with the recipe, too. For me, the recipe was not so tempting because once again I try to avoid rye to reduce my skin irritations.

But the recipe kept spining in my head. When I can not use rye, what’s about spelt, I asked myself. The combination of spelt and honey is something I like very much. And my sourdough starter was so lively after the last warm summerdays. And so I decided to bake a sourdough bread with honey and spelt.

It has nothing in common with Martins recipe anymore despite the fact that it contains sourdough and honey.

The bread dough is easy to handle, but you need a little bit of time management: The sourdough is prepared in the morning, the dough is kneed in the afternoon and the bread is formed in the evening. It proofs then overnight in the fridge and 24 hours later you pull a delicious smelling out of the oven.

The slight sweetness of honey fits perfect to the mild aroma of the spelt while the sourdough adds a subtle tartness.

Honey Spelt Bread

Sourdough

• 70g Sourdough starter
  • 200g Spelt flour Type 630
  • 140g Water

Dough

• Sourdough
  • 550g Spelt flour Type 630
  • 250g Spelt, freshly milled
  • 510g Water
  • 65g Honey
  • 20g Salt

Morning: Mix water, flour and starter for the sourdough and ferment it  for 6 to 10 hours at 25°C.

Afternoon:  Mix all ingredients for the dough. Let it rest for 30 min, then fold it from the outside of bowl into the middle for three or four times. Let rest for 30 min again, then fold the dough and repeat the resting and folding steps one time more. Ferment the dough for 3-4 hours until it doubles its volume

Shape the dough into two loaves, place them in well floured breadforms and proof overnight in the fridge.

The next morning:  Preheat the baking stone to 250°C. Slash the loaves directly before baking.Bake for 35 min at 250°C with steam on a hot stone.

I sent this entry to Yeastspotting, Susans weekly showcase of yeast baked good.

Print Friendly

10 thoughts on Honey Spelt Bread

1. My Italian Smörgåsbord September 15th, 2012

oh baby! that’s one beautiful rustic sourdough you have there! how would you describe spelt flour type 630? and… do you have a mill? what brand? I am going to get one soon, and I have my eyes on a little German mill…

1. Stefanie September 15th, 2012

@My Italian Smörgåsbord: Thank you! The spelt flour is a white one, similar to an all purpose flour. I have a mill, which I can attach to my kitchen machine. It is not as beautiful as this nice wooden mills, but its handy (and the kitchen is to small for mill and kitchen machine). It is a second hand machine, more then 20 years old and still running and you can still buy the machine and all adapters, so I can replace everything like for example the millstone.

2. Stephi September 15th, 2012

Huhu,

klingt total lecker dein Brot, muss ich unbedingt ausprobieren! Muss mich eh mal wieder um meinen kleinen Sauerteig kümmern…

LG, Stephi

3. Micha September 15th, 2012

Schöne Krume – da ist ein reines Dinkelbrot ja gerne heikel!
    Dinkel zählt für mich neben den Urgetreiden zu den Lieblingen!

4. Tara Lidell September 24th, 2012

That honey spelt bread looks divine and I will be trying it soon! Thank you for that recipe!

5. Joanna October 16th, 2013

Hallo Stefanie,
    ich habe Dein Brot für WBD nachgebacken. Ich bin mit dem Ergebnis total zufrieden. Das Brot ist sehr, sehr lecker. Vielen Dank für das Rezept und viele Grüße

6. w April 11th, 2014

Hi,
    just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I made this and it was delicious. You can see it here. http://ofbreadandquinces.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/sourdough-spelt-wheat-bread/

You have a great blog, by the way. This is a very old post so you’ll probably not read this comment, but if you do, is your freshly milled spelt flour in the recipe a bit like whole spelt flour? Did you have a problem with dough strength for this bread? I don’t know if it’s because I used all white flour, or because the hydration is high, or maybe this is what spelt flour is like, but my dough didn’t have much strength although it proofed very well.
    I don’t have any experience working with spelt at all, so I don’t know.
    in any case, thanks again!

1. Stefanie April 11th, 2014

@w: Thank you for your kind words!
      Instead of freshly milled spelt you can use of course whole spelt flour.
      To your question of the strength of spelt doughs: Spelt is higher in protein then wheat but its gluten proteins have another composition then wheat. This leads to an weaker dough which has to handle with a little bit more care. When you use only white flour, the dough was maybe a little bit to high hydrated as well.